So, as you all may have seen, Kate was spending this week in Munich for work. She was supposed to fly back today. But Mother Nature had different plans, thanks to the eruption of the volcano Eyjafjallajokull (quite the mouthful) in Iceland, air travel from Germany and many other European countries has come to a stop. So Kate is stuck until the weather changes, or other travel arrangements are made. Her hotel accommodations in Munich ended today, so she is now staying in Bavaria with one of her co-workers from the Munich office (and her husband and 2-year old and 6-month old children). I am really glad that this happened on a business trip as the expense or inconvenience had it been on a vacation would have been huge. Although then at least we’d probably be together.
Kate spent much of the day trying to get through to travel agents through her work and other airlines. It looked like there were possible flight options in Rome or Madrid but she couldn’t confirm, and even then the closest place was a 13 hour train ride away. Probably not much fun for someone 6 months pregnant. She finally got arrangements for a flight from Munich for Monday afternoon, but it is looking, more and more, like the airport will not be open then. I even looked into transatlantic cruises and spoke to someone whose company booked all the possible cruises but there are no available options for the next month. There was one from London on Thursday but it’s all booked up.
So Kate is stuck in Munich and I am stuck at home (with our dog, Schnitzel) and all of us are quite sad to not be together. This is already the longest we have been apart from each other since we’ve been married, and I fear that we may have (at least) several more days apart. So everyone keep your fingers crossed so that my honey and Piccolino can come back soon, and safely, as I miss them terribly.
Plus I can’t watch the return of Glee on my DVR because I promised Kate I’d wait for her.