Hi! Sorry it has taken me a few days to write; it’s been a busy week. First things first, thank you all for the comments and emails over the last week. Even though I haven’t been able to respond, I read and loved every one! As you probably know, Benjamin and I went to New York last weekend to visit friends, and both of us stayed in New York for work this past week. What I thought was going to be a couple days of meetings in my company’s New York office turned into a 5-day, all day meeting extravaganza for me. It was an awesome opportunity for me to stretch myself professionally, and although I barely had time to do anything other than work, it was a wonderful experience and I am proud of myself for stepping up to the plate.
Meanwhile, I feel like my pregnant body is growing and changing by the day. All of a sudden I look and feel totally, TOTALLY pregnant, and everyone else seems to notice too. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the goods and not-so-goods of the last week.
- I’ve officially popped! No matter what I’m wearing now, I think it’s pretty clear that I’m pregnant. Some outfits exaggerate the belly more than others, but I feel like I’m finally getting to the point where strangers on the street know I’m pregnant, which is pretty exciting.
- While some smells and foods still make me curl up my nose in disgust, most of my strong food aversions are past. I’ve been eating normally again (salad! steak! chicken!), and food tastes delicious. Thank goodness. I still have trouble ordering food in a restaurant (I always seem to order something and then when it comes, it’s just not what I really want), but in general I am back to my normal, food-loving self again.
- 4 days until we find out the sex! Everyone I have met has predicted that it’s a girl (apparently I’m carrying very high?), and I kind of feel the girl vibes too. We are so anxious to know!
- BACK ACHES! You always hear pregnant women complaining about their aching backs, but I guess I thought it was a result of a huge belly, so it wouldn’t be an issue until much later in pregnancy. Well, at least in my case, it is not. I have started to feel lower back pains when I walk for awhile, and I find it hard to get comfortable at night because of my sore back. I’ve been putting a pillow between my legs to align my spine better, but I still find myself bending and stretching often throughout the night to work out the kinks.
- Peeing. Often. A lot. And sometimes when I, ummm, didn’t plan on it. I also knew that this was a common pregnancy symptom, but I hoped it wouldn’t start so soon. This morning I sneezed and felt myself pee a little. And it was out of my control. What a weird feeling! Sigh.
Throughout my pregnancy, Benjamin has been hoping I would have some weird food cravings (you know, ice cream and pickles, etc.). Because I generally eat so healthily, I think he was hoping it would be something totally out of character. Other than ice cream (which I’ve just been loving more and more every week), I think I have a new craving: CONDIMENTS. Whereas I used to eat my salad relatively dry, sandwiches with no mayo or mustard, burgers with just a little ketchup, now I want to drown my food in condiments. I had a sandwich in New York with mayo on it and thought I had died and gone to heaven. And I used to find mayo disgusting! When I eat french fries now, I want them to swim in a vat of ketchup. When I eat salad, I want to cover every lettuce leaf in dressing. Apparently that’s how I’m choosing to get my extra 300 calories a day 🙂
If you are or have been pregnant, what were/are your food cravings? If you aren’t pregnant, do you think your eating style will change if/when you get pregnant?