She Says… Getting the Workup (Part 1)

I barely slept on Thursday night thinking about the uncomfortableness of the HSG and trying to imagine what it might feel like to have dye injected into my cervix. Friday morning I woke up ready to get the infertility workup over with.

I was not allowed to eat after 8pm because one of the tests they were doing was an insulin test, so I was totally hangry a little hungry by the time they took me in for my ultrasound. The ultrasound was ordered to get a good look at my ovaries to see a) if they were filled with cysts, which would confirm a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and b) to check on how many viable eggs I have left to see what we’re workin’ with, provided everything else checks out. I told Benjamin he could come in for the ultrasound. It was my first one, and it felt a little exciting, even though I knew there wasn’t going to be a baby on the screen 🙂  So, the lab tech tells me to get undressed from the waist down and wrap a sheet around my legs. I hopped up on the seat and she puts my feet in the stirrups and asks me to scoot down to the end. I was expecting her just to rub the jelly on my tummy and watch the screen, so I was a little surprised about the nakedness/position. That’s when she said it: “So, have you ever had a vaginal ultrasound before?”. Ummm, a vaginal ultrasound? What about the regular kind that you see on tv when people are pregnant? Apparently those wouldn’t show much since there’s no baby in there yet, so they had to insert a light saber lubed up magic wand inside me to get a better angle. All in all it wasn’t too bad. She sort of pressed my insides around trying to get various pictures. Didn’t really hurt, just felt like pressure. I couldn’t see the screen, so I don’t know what she found.

After the surprise vaginal ultrasound I was taken in for bloodwork. Now, I saw how many tests were ordered for me, so I knew they were going to take a lot of blood. I’ve never been great with needles, but I’ve gotten a bit tougher in the last few years. I’ve gotten tougher — but I still tend to pass out. So I always warn the nurses. They put me in a big recliner so I wouldn’t fall on the floor if I fainted. I was very glad I had mentioned it when I saw just how many vials of blood they were going to fill! Yikes. Benjamin, always the helpful and caring husband whipped out his iPhone and said, “If you pass out, I’m totally taking a picture of you for the blog”. Thanks, honey. Thankfully he didn’t need to make good on that promise; I handled the bloodwork like a champ.

Then came the moment of truth. I went back out to the front desk and let her know I also needed to have an HSG. She looked at me quizzically and said, “But we don’t do HSG’s on Fridays!”. Ummm, ooops. I misunderstood the nurse when she walked me through all the procedures. Apparently you have to go in for a blood pregnancy test before the HSG… they want to be certain you’re not pregnant before flooding your system with dye. So she said I was done for the day, and someone would call me to let me know the results of the pregnancy test that afternoon. If it’s negative, I should call and schedule my HSG for next week or the week after. And three weeks after that I can have a debrief with Dr. P to go over the results from all the tests and create a plan of attack.

It was (negative — duh!), and so now I’m playing the waiting game. Again. I’ll call tomorrow and schedule the HSG, and then stress about it all over again. Fun fun fun!


3 responses to “She Says… Getting the Workup (Part 1)

  1. you’re a trooper! good luck with everything this week!

  2. Good luck with everything. I personally couldn’t do the HSG because I have anxiety issues.

  3. You’re off to a running start! It’s so exciting to get the plan in motion! Don’t panic over the HSG, it won’t be bad!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s